top of page

Tied Up Top Pattern Hacked

Updated: Apr 20, 2021

Hey Seamsters! I’m currently on a sunny, summer road trip back from D.C. and what a perfect time to get some writing in – Don’t worry, I’m the passenger.

Anyway, this is me finally completing my super simple pattern hack for the Tie Up Top... I know, I completely procrastinated on getting this sucker up my blog. I mean, I only started this a few months ago?!

The Tied Up Top, is totally cool with it’s rad tie-front feature but it’s way easy to remove it for a completely different look. It’s a pretty relaxed fit, allowing a lot of roominess, which gives that tied front some extra oomph. This was something I knew but I had a stellar idea and didn’t think it would be a problem.

Shit, I was wrong.


Originally made this top with a long rounded front, mimicking the back but it was really unflattering... In true seamster form I was in denial while stitching that bitch up.

In fact, I was in denial right up until I took a million TERRIBLE pics of myself. But have no fear, I came to grips with the fact that it was just not right. I think it could have been done; maybe something for another day.

In case you are thinking about taking this pattern to a longer version, consider removing some of the existing fullness and save the headache of doing extra work. It looked very “maternity” and if you’ve ever been, it’s something you like to avoid!


Now, onto the good stuff.

Scrolling through my Instagram feed one day, this fabric from Harts Fabric popped up… a shut-up-and-take-my-money moment, I just couldn’t resist, so it was an instant click and buy.


Now, like I said, super simple pattern hack, even though I eff’d up the first time, here’s what I ultimately did to create this top. That “V” section just gets hacked off like Lorena did, so start at the original side seam and draw a slightly rounded line creating a new hem edge, then join it with the end of the existing snap extension.


Next, I whacked off the back hem to match the front. Hell yeah... new freaking shirt!

(Because I started at the bottom of the pattern's side seam and a 1/2" seam allowance was already included I did not add any additional seam allowance.)


Lastly, I added a little folded cuff to the sleeves. It was something my girl, Loni over at Havin’ Sew Much Fun did, and well, damnit, I wanted to do it too! It’s a pretty simple formula to created a single folded cuff, so follow along.


Measure both the front and back armholes and subtract 1”. Now make a rectangle that is this width and the height is the finished width of your cuff, multiplied by 2, plus 1”. Got it? That’s W=17.5”-1 H= (1.5x2)+1 if you are making a size large and want a 1.5” wide cuff... so your rectangle would be 16.5” x 4” total. #sewingmath


That’s it Seamsters--my quick little hack for the Tied Up Top pattern. I gotta say, I’m usually not one for a “cropped” look, but the existing flowiness of this pattern really works in my favor and I think it’s a great style to get that look without it actually being cropped.

This 1st mate earned me a few compliments on her maiden voyage, so you better believe I’ll be sporting the crap out of her with these self-drafted shorts. All. Damn. Summer.





Jenn Barron

A pattern specialist, master seamster and digital badass. Jenn establishes a place where creativity, authenticity and sewing meet, helping make all the things so that you can  be you.

Find me!

  • Youtube
  • Sew & Tell on Facebook
  • sewandtellpatterns on instagram
  • Sew & Tell on Pinterest

My Go-To
Fabirc Stores:

minerva 2.jpeg
harts fabric.png
bottom of page